Monday, August 18, 2008

Soldier: Let's stick to moral values

Soldier: Let's stick to moral values
By Reijeli KikauSunday, August 17, 2008
TAKING heed of the moral values and teachings at home is one way Fijian soldiers serving in the British Army can survive overseas, says Lance Corporal Filimoni Raceva.
For the soldier from Malake, Rakiraki in Ra, serving in the army for the past eight and a half years has been an experience but there has always been the "homesickness" that comes with working away from home.
"While growing up I had no intention of joining the army since I had always wanted to be an aircraft engineer but things did not go according to what I had wanted and now I am serving in the British army," he said.
He said he has been based at Woolwich, London for the past seven years while serving in the 16 Regiment Royal Artillery as a Rapier F.S.C Tactical controller.
LCpl Raceva said that after getting married in 2006, he decided to ask for a transfer with his new family to the Royal Logistic Corp now based at the Princess Royal Barracks at Guthersloh, Germany.
"While serving in Germany, I am employed as a supplier and at the moment I am serving in Optelic 12 in Iraq.
"Our camp is in Kuwai but it is not that dangerous compared to Basrah where they get direct fire from mortars and RPG from the Taliban constantly," he said.
He said he has been on several overseas missions and serving in Iraq "was a totally different experience".
LCpl Raceva said he served in Cyprus which is a United Nations tour in 2002 for six months.
He said the job in Iraq was more demanding because of so many factors.
"I miss home a lot especially my family back in Germany. I try to get pictures from emails of my two kids every day.
"I also miss my parents in Wainivula, Suva, but I am lucky that I get to see my brother and sister once in a while since they are also in the army and based in the UK."
He said that as a Fijian he has learnt to adapt to the British way of living, culture and its food.
LCpl Raceva said he has also found time to help young Fijians joining the army who find it difficult to adapt to the change in environment, life and work.
"I have always advised them to stick to the moral values and teachings from back home and serve the Lord faithfully since that is only way we can cope and enjoy life while being out here," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment